We promised to bring you the full gist about the wedding of Abiola Johnson and Temitope Adebubi. Well, here we go: this was one hell of a meticulously planned and executed wedding bash. There had earlier been a private family introduction and engagement ceremony at the Alaka Estate, Surulere residence of the Adenubis on Sunday, 20th October, 2013.
On D-Day, Saturday, 26th October, 2013, a well attended church wedding held at the Holy Trinity Church (the oldest Anglican church in Lagos), Ebute-Ero, Lagos. The wedding reception commenced in earnest at 2pm at the City Hall, Lagos. Due to well-laid out plans, this reporter was unable to gain access to the hall proper but stood by outside and observed the goings-on. Intending guests were met by two distinct lines of security checks.
Invitation cards were crosschecked by the two “Check Points” against a prepared and secure guests list and those impostors and would-be gate crashers were turned back by the eagle-eyed personnel at the points. Even one or two who managed to miraculously advance within the portals and beyond the security checks were later fished out of the hall, shut out and sent packing. We just about managed to snap some shots of the official guests list and we took cognizance of the dignitaries and the coterie of Lagosians attending the marriage of the son of Chief Abiola Johnson and Chief Toyosi Folawiyo and the daughter of Mr & Mrs Akinbayo Adenubi.
Chief Johnson is the Apesin of Lagos, son of Nigeria’s First Republic Minister of Internal Affairs, Labour & Social Welfare, Chief J. Modupe Johnson (J. M. J.). Chief Abiola Johnson was also a Commissioner for Transportation in Lagos State whence he introduced the M. O. T. Test for vehicles in Lagos State, and later served as Commissioner for Commerce & Industry, all under Governor Tinubu. His former wife, Chief Toyosi Folawiyo, is the Otun Iyalaje of Lagos and first progeny of the late business mogul, Alhaji Wahab Folawiyo.
The bride’s father, Mr Adenubi, is a past Chairman of the largest and richest social club in Africa, Ikoyi Club 1938, and also past President of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, while his wife Dutse is of Ishan, Ewu, Edo State extraction. You do not need to apply rocket or nuclear science extrapolation to decipher the quality and opulence of the wedding guests.
One thing stood out like a sore thumb – this was not a typical Lagosian “owambe and cash-spraying” soiree. Indeed, from the music that was distinctively audible from the periphery of the entrance, where this reporter was quietly lodged and observant, the young ones were resplendent in their dancing steps to typical, fashionable and Nigerian disco tunes by the likes of P-Square.
There was hardly any praise-singing a la Nigerian “Juju” band until the King of Lagos, Oba Akiolu exhibited his parodic dance steps. We heard the guests, on their departure from the hall, some a little heeled over, expressing delight and praising the organisers for a well-planned wedding. Wedding of the Year?
We are delighted to list the names of the attendees and pictures taken at the wedding event.
- Admiral (Rtd.) Okanlawon Oni – Past Chairman Lagos Lawn Tennis Club
- Alhaji Adedeji Salako – Vice Chairman Island Club
- Alhaji Y. A. Quadri – Trustee Island Club
- Arch Bishop Yemi Atilade – Head Gospel Baptist Church
- Architect Dada Marquis – Top Lagosian Architect
- Captain (Rtd) Lisk-Carew – Ex Chairman Lagos Island Local Government
- Captain Funsho Oyewo – marine Captain & Mooring Pilot
- Chief Augustine Ayo –Ex Editor Drum Magazine
- Chief Badru Olaogun – Past Chairman Yoruba Tennis Club
- Chief Deinde Lucas – Past Chairman Island Club
- Chief Dr Bolaji Adeniji – Past Chairman Ikoyi Club
- Chief Dr Lai Ogunbambi – Ex Federal Perm. Sec.
- Chief Gbolahan Odeinde – Alapeni of Lagos
- Chief Kayode Rotimi-Williams – Director, Kay Farms
- Chief Ladi Taiwo – Renowned Legal Practitioner
- Chief Mrs Bimbo Rotimi-Williams – Daughter of late Chief J. M. Johnson
- Dr Ademola Farri – Retired Chief Consultant Psychiatrist
- Dr Aderemi Adio-Moses – Director Ekemode Clinic
- Dr Bayo Taiwo – Radiographer
- Dr Femi Solanke – Leading Lagosian Dentist
- Dr Femi Vaughan – Secretary, Akinsemoyin Royal Family
- Dr Gbadebo Akinsanya – Son of late Professor Akinsanya
- Dr Papa Sagoe – WHO State Medical Consultant
- Dr Supo Alli-Balogun – Director Baldok Limited
- Dr Tayo Sawyerr – FRCOG
- Dr Tokunbo Pearse – Senior English Lecturer UNILAG
- Dr Yemi Randle – Director Military Hospital
- Dr Yinka Balogun – Director Jones Clinic
- Her Excellency Kofo Bucknor Akerele – Ex Lagos State Deputy Governor
- Hon. Dotun Animashaun – Ex Member House of Reps.
- Major (Rtd.) Abiodun Doherty – Ex NPA Director
- Mr Akin Aganga-Williams – Business Consultant
- Mr Ayodeji Joseph – Chairman Apapa Local Government
- Mr Bisi Olatilo – Ace TV Host
- Mr Dapo Elias – Son of late Baba Adini
- Mr Kayode Tinubu – Trustee Waka Club
- Mr Kunle Ogunade – Leading Oil Consultant
- Mr Lere Awokoya – Nigeria’s Advertising Guru
- Mr Paul Osazee – Business Tycoon
- Mr Sina Adedipe – Ex Editor Sunday Concord
- Mr Steve Omojafor – Chairman Zenith Bank
- Mr T. O. Ademuyiwa – “Bale” Harlesden, London
- Mr Tobi Awokoya – Lagos Businessman
- Mr Tola Animashaun – Ex Lagos State Perm. Sec.
- Mr Tunde Bajulaiye – Vice Chairman Waka Club
- Mr Tunde Balogun – Ex Lagos State Commissioner
- Mr Tunde Folawiyo – Director Yinkka Folawiyo & Sons
- Mrs Abah Folawiyo – Wife of late Baba Adini
- Mrs Derin Braithwaite – Lagos State Commissioner
- Mrs Fola Adenuga – Wife of Mike Adenuga
- Mrs Olugbo Hollist – Daughter of late Rev. Lucas
- Mrs Tinu Balogun – Ex Lagos State Perm. Sec.
- Ms Folake Doherty – Daughter of late Adebayo Doherty
- Ms Olu Oshodi – Lagos Socialite
- Ms Ranti Johnson – Daughter of late Chief J. M. Johnson
- Oba Akiolu – Oba of Lagos
- Prince Ademola Dada – Chairman Island Club
- Prince Biodun Ogunleye – Ex Deputy Governor Lagos State
- Prince Oyekan Adele – Lagos Royal Prince
- Prince Rabiu Oluwa – Past President Eko Club
- Professor Abisogun Leigh – Ex V. C. LASU
- Professor Mrs Elebute – Nee Adenubi
- Professor Elebute – Director Lagoon Hospital
- Senator Daisy Danjuma – General Danjuma’s wife
- Squadron Leader (Rtd.) Segun Coker – Chairman Jazz Club Abuja
- Chief Oba Adejumo – Past Chairman Trustee Island Club
- Chief John Edozien – Ex Federal Perm. Sec.
- Mrs Maiden Ibru – Wife of late Alex Ibru
- Mrs Wonu Folami – Ex Lagos State Attorney-General
- Mr Dele Martins – MD of FHB, Vice Chairman Yoruba Tennis Club
- Dr Walter Olatunde – MD Deux Project Limited